Dr. Jianzhong Wu Ph.D.
Professor, Chemical & Environmental Engineering
University of California, Berkeley, Ph.D., Chem. Eng. (1998)
Tsinghua University, Beijing, M.S., Chem. Eng. (1994), B.S. Applied Math & B.E. Chem. Eng. (1991)
Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine, Computational Bioengineering, Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology, Computation and Molecular Modeling, Energy Conversion and Storage, Energy Processing, Nano & Micro Scale Engineering, Computation & Design, Materials Properties & Processing, Multiphase Flow & Combustion
Dr. Jianzhong Wu is a professor of Chemical Engineering and a cooperating faculty member of Mathematics Department at the University of California, Riverside. His research is focused on the development and application of statistical-mechanical methods, in particular density functional theory, for predicting the microscopic structure and physiochemical properties of confined fluids, soft materials and biological systems.
- “Structure and capacitance of an electric double layer of an asymmetric valency dimer electrolyte: A comparison of the density functional theory with Monte Carlo simulations”, D. Henderson, W. Silvestre-Alcantara, M. Kaja, S. Lamperski, J. Wu and L. B. Bhuiyan, Journal of Molecular Liquids, 228, 236–242, 2017.
- “Differential Heat of Adsorption and Isosteres”, Y. Tian and J. Wu, Langmuir, 33(4): 996-1003, 2017.
- “Non-scaling behavior of electroosmotic flow in voltage-gated nanopores", C. Lian, A. Gallegos, H.L. Liu and J. Wu, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 19, 450-457, 2017.
- “Chemical and Radiation Stability of Ionic Liquids – A Computational Screening Study”, N. V. Ilawe, J. Fu, B. M. Wong, S. Ramanathan, J. Wu, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 120 (49), 27757–27767, 2017.
- “Salting-Out and Salting-In Effects in Polyelectrolyte Solutions: a Liquid-State Theory Study”, P. Zhang, N. M. Alsaifi, J. Wu, and Z. G. Wang, Macromolecules, 49 (24), 9720–9730, 2017.
- “Concanavalin A Enhanced Enzymatic Catalysis on Activated Carbon”, W.N. Xu, Y. Yong, Z. Y. Wang, G. Jiang, J. Wu and Z. Liu, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 5 (1), 90–96, 2017.
- “Computational Insights into Materials and Interfaces for Capacitive Energy Storage”, C. Zhan, C. Lian, Y. Zhang, M. Tompson, Y. Xie, J. Wu, P. T. Cummings, P. R. C. Kent, D. Jiang, D. J. Wesolowski, Advanced Science, 4, 1700059, 2017.
- “Kinetics of CO2 Diffusion in Human Carbonic Anhydrase: A Study by Molecular Dynamics Simulation and the Markov-State Model”, G. Chen, X. Kong, D. N. Lu, J. Wu and Z. Liu, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 19, 11690, 2017.
- “Multi-models Computation for Adsorption Capacity of Activated Carbon”, G.D. Wang, Y. Tian, J.C. Jiang and J. Wu, Adsorption Science and Technology, DOI: 10.1177/0263617417705472, 2017.
- “Ion distribution and selectivity of ionic liquids in microporous electrodes", J. N. Neal, D. J. Wesolowski, D. Henderson, and J. Wu, Journal of Chemical Physics, 146, 174701, 2017.
- “A Theoretical Study on the Morphological Phase Diagram of Supported Lipid Bilayers”, X. Kong, D. N. Lu, J. Wu, and Z. Liu, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 19, 16897-16903, 2017
- “Ion association at discretely-charged dielectric interfaces: Giant charge inversion”, Z. Y. Wang and J. Wu, Journal of Chemical Physics, 147, 024703 (2017).
- “Impurity Effects on Charging Mechanism and Energy Storage of Nanoporous Supercapacitors”, C. Lian, K. Liu, H.L. Liu and J. Wu, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 121 (26), 14066–14072, 2017.
- “Capacitive Energy Extraction by Few-Layer Graphene Electrodes”, C. Lian, C. Zhan, D. E. Jiang, H.L. Liu and J. Wu, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 121 (26), 14010–14018, 2017
- “A Molecular Theory of Hydration at Different Temperatures", S. Sheng, M. Miller and J. Wu, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 121 (28), 6898–6908, 2017.
- “A Comprehensive Analysis of the BET Surface Area for Microporous Materials”, Y. Tian and J. Wu, AIChE Journal, DOI: 10.1002/aic.15880, 2017.
- “Self-amplified surface charging and partitioning of ionic liquids in nanopores", J. N. Neal, K. L. Van Aken, Y. Gogotsi, D. J. Wesolowski and J. Wu, Physical Review Applied, 8, 034018, 2017.
- “A Thermodynamic Route for Efficient Prediction of Gas Diffusivity in Nanoporous Materials”, Y. Tian, X. Xu and J. Wu, Langmuir, 33, 11797−11803 (2017).
- Erratum: “Ion distribution and selectivity of ionic liquids in microporous electrodes” [J. Chem. Phys. 146, 174701 (2017)], J. N. Neal, D. J. Wesolowski, D. Henderson, and J. Wu, Journal of Chemical Physics, 147, 169902 (2017).
Fellow, American Physical Society (APS) (2016)
Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) (2015)
Chang Jiang Scholar, Chinese Ministry of Education (2014-2017)
Invited participant, Global Grand Challenges Summit (2013 & 2015)
Invited participant, U.S. Frontiers of Engineering (2012)
COR Research Fellowship (2011, 2013)
Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship (2008)
Regents’ Faculty Development Award (2003), Regents’ Faculty Fellowship (2001)
Outstanding Performance Award, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (2000)
Progress in Science and Technology Team Award, Chinese Ministry of Education (1999)