Dear BCOE Colleagues:
Progress continues in the Bourns Hall 2nd floor Renovation and 1st floor HVAC retrofit. Below is an update including several critical dates and events.
Construction in an occupied building is especially challenging. As can occur with any major renovation project, unforeseen events have pushed Phase 2 completion out by approximately 2 weeks. BCOE is committed to reducing the negative impacts of this project as much as possible.
- The East side 2nd floor main drain pathways required re-engineering and re-routing as a result of building
structural footings and pile and grade beam locations. Completion of the plumbing
reroute is necessary before Phase 2 labs can become fully functional. This impacts
both the CEE teaching lab and Registrar’s lecture hall in B-118. Other than noise,
west side labs are unaffected by this plumbing re-route.
- Concrete cutting and breakout will occur Saturday, November 26th in B-134
- Plumbing work will be completed and Phase 2 drains will be functional beginning December 9th
- Phase 2 room turnover to the College is now scheduled for DECEMBER 9th – this will allow early move-in. However, complete functionality of Phase 2 is not expected until December 19th.
- Labs moving out of Phase 3 and into the newly completed Phase 2 in early December will need to be ready to go on their scheduled move dates (schedule to follow).
ROOF REPLACEMENT AND FAN/STACK DELIVERY AND INSTALL: Craning and installing roof equipment is now scheduled for December 12th through December 28th. As a result:
- There will be an EXHAUST SHUTDOWN for EAST SIDE of B-wing: December 12th through December 18th. Hazardous materials work will not be allowable during this time. Also during this time there will be occasional, intermittent HVAC (heating and air conditioning), chilled water, industrial water, house vacuum, and electrical shutdowns. This is necessary work in order to tie in necessary upgraded and new utilities. This area is scheduled to be fully functional on the morning of December 19th.
- There will be an HVAC and EXHAUST SHUTDOWN for WEST SIDE of B-wing: December 19th through December 28th. Hazardous materials work will not be allowable during this time. Also during this
time there will be occasional, intermittent HVAC (heating and air conditioning), chilled
water, industrial water, house vacuum, and electrical shutdowns.
- All 1st floor and 3rd floor labs will be fully functional beginning December 28th,
- 2nd floor labs south of the interior hallway will also be fully functional beginning December 28th
Successfully transitioning remaining Phase 3 room Occupants/Researchers to their new permanent space, or to their temporary jump space, is our highest priority. We are working diligently with the contractor to enable early moves into Phase 2 labs wherever possible. Your Team’s assistance facilitating smooth move-outs is always greatly appreciated. I will provide more detailed move information in a later email.
- Renovation of Phase 3 is still scheduled for completion in mid-April.
- Mechanical work in CEE class labs (B-108 and B-134) began November 21st (starting with B-134) and will extend thru JANUARY 5th,
- Turnover of B-108 back to the College will occur on January 3rd
- Turnover of B-134 back to the College will occur on January 5th
- We are working to have as many Phase 3 rooms turned over to the Contractor as early
as possible in order to prevent Phase 3 completion delays.
- B-232 has been turned over and demolition is in progress
- B-230 is nearly ready and is awaiting final removal of several research items
- Remaining rooms include:
There is never a time when research interruptions or building shutdowns are welcome or convenient. Please let me know how best I can help you or if you need assistance planning or preparing for events. Please also let me know if you have questions or concerns. For copies of this and other updates as well as other potentially helpful information, please also visit the Bourns B Renovation web page.
Safety and Facilities Coordinator
Bourns College of Engineering
University of California, Riverside
Three words for life from SuperKenny: Honesty, Respect, Gratefulness